Transoral robotic surgery for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma in the era of human papillomavirus

Transoral robotic surgery for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma in the era of human... INTRODUCTIONIn the United States, 16 420 patients were diagnosed with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) in 2015, and the incidence is increasing steadily due to the human papillomavirus (HPV) epidemic. This viral infection of oropharyngeal crypts is the precursor to oncogenic transformation in >60% of oropharyngeal SCC cases, in contrast to the previous paradigm of oropharyngeal SCC induction from tobacco exposure, with distinctive molecular, clinicopathologic, and prognostic characteristics. The HPV‐negative oropharyngeal SCC displays 25% lower 3‐year overall survival (OS; 57% vs 82%; P < .001) compared to HPV‐positive disease, with HPV status being the single most influential prognostic factor for patients with oropharyngeal SCC. Enhanced radiosensitivity and antitumor immune response potentially explain the improved outcomes in HPV‐positive oropharyngeal SCC, which potentially justifies tailoring treatment based on this marker. Indeed, treatment deintensification is currently being tested in HPV‐positive oropharyngeal SCC through elimination/substitution of traditional cisplatin chemosensitization and/or radiation dose reduction.Along with the oropharyngeal SCC epidemiologic shift, advances in surgical technique reintroduced transoral laser microsurgery and introduced transoral robotic surgery (TORS) into the management paradigm. In contrast to the open surgical approach, these minimally invasive surgeries eliminate the mandibulotomy or pharyngotomy that resulted in significant morbidity with traditional surgical approaches. Primary approaches using TORS, http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Head & Neck: Journal for the Sciences & Specialties of the Head and Neck Wiley

Transoral robotic surgery for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma in the era of human papillomavirus

Loading next page...
 
/lp/wiley/transoral-robotic-surgery-for-oropharyngeal-squamous-cell-carcinoma-in-B6oIaCMAw3
Publisher
Wiley Subscription Services, Inc., A Wiley Company
Copyright
© 2018 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
ISSN
1043-3074
eISSN
1097-0347
D.O.I.
10.1002/hed.25036
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

INTRODUCTIONIn the United States, 16 420 patients were diagnosed with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) in 2015, and the incidence is increasing steadily due to the human papillomavirus (HPV) epidemic. This viral infection of oropharyngeal crypts is the precursor to oncogenic transformation in >60% of oropharyngeal SCC cases, in contrast to the previous paradigm of oropharyngeal SCC induction from tobacco exposure, with distinctive molecular, clinicopathologic, and prognostic characteristics. The HPV‐negative oropharyngeal SCC displays 25% lower 3‐year overall survival (OS; 57% vs 82%; P < .001) compared to HPV‐positive disease, with HPV status being the single most influential prognostic factor for patients with oropharyngeal SCC. Enhanced radiosensitivity and antitumor immune response potentially explain the improved outcomes in HPV‐positive oropharyngeal SCC, which potentially justifies tailoring treatment based on this marker. Indeed, treatment deintensification is currently being tested in HPV‐positive oropharyngeal SCC through elimination/substitution of traditional cisplatin chemosensitization and/or radiation dose reduction.Along with the oropharyngeal SCC epidemiologic shift, advances in surgical technique reintroduced transoral laser microsurgery and introduced transoral robotic surgery (TORS) into the management paradigm. In contrast to the open surgical approach, these minimally invasive surgeries eliminate the mandibulotomy or pharyngotomy that resulted in significant morbidity with traditional surgical approaches. Primary approaches using TORS,

Journal

Head & Neck: Journal for the Sciences & Specialties of the Head and NeckWiley

Published: Jan 1, 2018

Keywords: ; ; ;

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

Monthly Plan

  • Read unlimited articles
  • Personalized recommendations
  • No expiration
  • Print 20 pages per month
  • 20% off on PDF purchases
  • Organize your research
  • Get updates on your journals and topic searches

$49/month

Start Free Trial

14-day Free Trial

Best Deal — 39% off

Annual Plan

  • All the features of the Professional Plan, but for 39% off!
  • Billed annually
  • No expiration
  • For the normal price of 10 articles elsewhere, you get one full year of unlimited access to articles.

$588

$360/year

billed annually
Start Free Trial

14-day Free Trial