The excretion of three gonadal steroids was studied in the urine and feces of female cotton‐top tamarins (Saguinus oedipus oedipus). Each steroid, 14C‐estrone, 14C‐estradiol, and 14C‐progesterone, was injected into a separate female cotton‐top tamarin. Urine and feces were collected at 8 hr intervals for 5 days on the three tamarins. Samples were analyzed to determine the proportion of free and conjugated steroids. Steroid excretion patterns were determined by sequential ether extraction, enzyme hydrolysis, and chromatography. Labeled estrone was excreted in a slow and continuous manner into the urine (57%) and feces (43%) with 90% of the steroid conjugated. The nonconjugated form had an elution profile identical to 3H estrone, but the conjugated portion was not completely hydrolyzed by enzyme. Labeled estradiol was excreted primarily in the urine (87%) and was released rapidly. Over 90% of the injected 14C‐estradiol was excreted in urine as a conjugate, of which 41% was converted to an estrone conjugate and the remaining 59% was excreted as a polar estradiol conjugate. Labeled progesterone was excreted primarily in the feces (95%), 61% of which was free steroid. Four to six individual peaks of radioactivity were found when using celite chromatography and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), indicating that progesterone is metabolized into several urinary and fecal metabolites. One of these peaks matched 3H‐progesterone and others may be pregnanediols, pregnanetriols, and 17‐hydroxyprogesterone. These steroidal excretion patterns help explain the atypical hormonal patterns seen during the tamarin ovarian cycle.
American Journal of Primatology – Wiley
Published: Jan 1, 1989
It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.
Enjoy affordable access to
over 18 million articles from more than
15,000 peer-reviewed journals.
All for just $49/month
Query the DeepDyve database, plus search all of PubMed and Google Scholar seamlessly
Save any article or search result from DeepDyve, PubMed, and Google Scholar... all in one place.
Get unlimited, online access to over 18 million full-text articles from more than 15,000 scientific journals.
Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.
All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.
“Hi guys, I cannot tell you how much I love this resource. Incredible. I really believe you've hit the nail on the head with this site in regards to solving the research-purchase issue.”Daniel C.
“Whoa! It’s like Spotify but for academic articles.”@Phil_Robichaud
“I must say, @deepdyve is a fabulous solution to the independent researcher's problem of #access to #information.”@deepthiw
“My last article couldn't be possible without the platform @deepdyve that makes journal papers cheaper.”@JoseServera