White Kwao Krua variety classification by botanical characteristics and ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique

White Kwao Krua variety classification by botanical characteristics and ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique White Kwao Krua [Pueraria candollei Grah. var. mirifica (Airy Shaw et Suvatabandhu) Niyomdham], is a herb used as an ingredient in supplementary and cosmetic. The tuberous roots of White Kwao Krua (WKK) contain estrogen-like substances. Seeds of WKK, collected from Prachuab Khiri Khan, were planted and propagated in the farm of Suranaree University of Technology, and their genetic backgrounds were ambiguous. Thirty six plants of WKK in the same age were sampled for classification using 7 botanical characteristics and DNA fingerprint by ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique. The relationship of the 7 botanical characteristics, using principle component analysis (PCA), showed the WKK plants fell into 3 groups. In the first group was plant number 34, which was distinguished from the other plants by its small leaf size. The second group consisted of 23 plants with elliptic leaf shape, acute leaf base, and acuminate leaf apex. The third group consisted of 12 plants with ovate leaf shape, obtuse leaf base, and cuspidate leaf apex. The ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique with 41 primers detected 355 loci of DNA with an average of 8.6 loci per primer. The sizes of DNA ranged between 280 bp to 1550 bp. Two hundred ninety three loci exhibited polymorphisms (82.54%) and the rest 62 loci were monomorphic (17.46%). The polymorphism information content (PIC) was between 0.0315–0.9779 (average 0.4779) and number of effective alleles per locus (N e) ranged between 1.1250–1.8541 (average 1.5544). Unweighted pair group method with arithmetic mean (UPGMA), Jaccard similarity coefficient and PCA were used to find the construction of genetic relationship of WKK. The genetic similarity (GS) of WKK ranged between 0.50–0.86 (average 0.77). At the GS of 0.56 from cluster analysis, the WKK varieties could be divided in 2 major groups. The first group comprised of plant number 34 and 7, and the second group could be further divided into 2 subgroups at GS of 0.69. None of the WKK plants was identical in genetic, and they were expected to be derived from 5 genetic sources. These results showed that applying of the ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique could be used to classify WKK efficiently. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Russian Journal of Genetics Springer Journals

White Kwao Krua variety classification by botanical characteristics and ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/white-kwao-krua-variety-classification-by-botanical-characteristics-JOl6LeexX0
Publisher
SP MAIK Nauka/Interperiodica
Copyright
Copyright © 2011 by Pleiades Publishing, Ltd.
Subject
Biomedicine; Human Genetics; Microbial Genetics and Genomics; Animal Genetics and Genomics
ISSN
1022-7954
eISSN
1608-3369
D.O.I.
10.1134/S1022795411070039
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

White Kwao Krua [Pueraria candollei Grah. var. mirifica (Airy Shaw et Suvatabandhu) Niyomdham], is a herb used as an ingredient in supplementary and cosmetic. The tuberous roots of White Kwao Krua (WKK) contain estrogen-like substances. Seeds of WKK, collected from Prachuab Khiri Khan, were planted and propagated in the farm of Suranaree University of Technology, and their genetic backgrounds were ambiguous. Thirty six plants of WKK in the same age were sampled for classification using 7 botanical characteristics and DNA fingerprint by ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique. The relationship of the 7 botanical characteristics, using principle component analysis (PCA), showed the WKK plants fell into 3 groups. In the first group was plant number 34, which was distinguished from the other plants by its small leaf size. The second group consisted of 23 plants with elliptic leaf shape, acute leaf base, and acuminate leaf apex. The third group consisted of 12 plants with ovate leaf shape, obtuse leaf base, and cuspidate leaf apex. The ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique with 41 primers detected 355 loci of DNA with an average of 8.6 loci per primer. The sizes of DNA ranged between 280 bp to 1550 bp. Two hundred ninety three loci exhibited polymorphisms (82.54%) and the rest 62 loci were monomorphic (17.46%). The polymorphism information content (PIC) was between 0.0315–0.9779 (average 0.4779) and number of effective alleles per locus (N e) ranged between 1.1250–1.8541 (average 1.5544). Unweighted pair group method with arithmetic mean (UPGMA), Jaccard similarity coefficient and PCA were used to find the construction of genetic relationship of WKK. The genetic similarity (GS) of WKK ranged between 0.50–0.86 (average 0.77). At the GS of 0.56 from cluster analysis, the WKK varieties could be divided in 2 major groups. The first group comprised of plant number 34 and 7, and the second group could be further divided into 2 subgroups at GS of 0.69. None of the WKK plants was identical in genetic, and they were expected to be derived from 5 genetic sources. These results showed that applying of the ISSR-Touchdown PCR technique could be used to classify WKK efficiently.

Journal

Russian Journal of GeneticsSpringer Journals

Published: Jul 16, 2011

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 18 million articles from more than
15,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Search

Query the DeepDyve database, plus search all of PubMed and Google Scholar seamlessly

Organize

Save any article or search result from DeepDyve, PubMed, and Google Scholar... all in one place.

Access

Get unlimited, online access to over 18 million full-text articles from more than 15,000 scientific journals.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve

Freelancer

DeepDyve

Pro

Price

FREE

$49/month
$360/year

Save searches from
Google Scholar,
PubMed

Create lists to
organize your research

Export lists, citations

Read DeepDyve articles

Abstract access only

Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles

Print

20 pages / month

PDF Discount

20% off