Status of fisheries in Egypt: reflections on past trends and management challenges

Status of fisheries in Egypt: reflections on past trends and management challenges This paper provides a summary from primary and grey literature on the current status of fisheries in Egypt. It also discusses gaps which may impede effective management, and highlights future challenges. Total national seafood production has grown steadily overall in the last 15 years due to the rapid growth of aquaculture, despite a decline in fisheries production (about 23 %) from 1997 to 2012. The total production in 2012 was approximately 1,371,975 tonnes, tripling the 457,036 tonnes obtained in 1997. Fisheries production amounted to 354,237 tonnes (25 %) whilst aquaculture produced 1,017,738 (75 %) tonnes in 2012. Fisheries in Egypt’s northern lakes were the most important (36 %) followed by marine fisheries in the Mediterranean and Red Seas (32 %), which had the greatest variations in catch. The main decline in wild fisheries was due to the reduced landings from both marine and northern lake fisheries. Egypt has a wide variety of marine and freshwater species, comprising Sardina pilchardus, Penaeus japonicus, Mugil cephalus, and Saurida undosquamis, etc.; while Oreochromis niloticus, Clarias gariepinus are the main cultured species. The Egyptian fishing fleet increased by over 40 % from 3415 motorised vessels in 1997–4909 vessels in 2012. Most of these (3046 vessels, 62 %) fish in the Mediterranean, while the rest (1863 vessels, 38 %) fish in the Red Sea. Longlines were the fishing gear most used by the motorised vessels (45 %), followed by trawlers (26 %). Policy during the past few decades has been development-oriented, encouraging investment in aquaculture to ensure sustainable fish production, rather than managing wild fisheries in a sustainable way. Despite vigorous efforts through national legislation to address fishery management issues, the weak enforcement, low compliance and unregulated fishing suggest the need to restructure the fisheries management system. The main fisheries stakeholders (policy makers, scientists and fishery managers) should consider the different scales of these fisheries and the context in which they operate, in order to develop suitable management strategies. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries Springer Journals

Status of fisheries in Egypt: reflections on past trends and management challenges

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/status-of-fisheries-in-egypt-reflections-on-past-trends-and-management-U30dEv6yl7
Publisher
Springer Journals
Copyright
Copyright © 2015 by Springer International Publishing Switzerland
Subject
Life Sciences; Freshwater & Marine Ecology; Zoology
ISSN
0960-3166
eISSN
1573-5184
D.O.I.
10.1007/s11160-015-9404-z
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

This paper provides a summary from primary and grey literature on the current status of fisheries in Egypt. It also discusses gaps which may impede effective management, and highlights future challenges. Total national seafood production has grown steadily overall in the last 15 years due to the rapid growth of aquaculture, despite a decline in fisheries production (about 23 %) from 1997 to 2012. The total production in 2012 was approximately 1,371,975 tonnes, tripling the 457,036 tonnes obtained in 1997. Fisheries production amounted to 354,237 tonnes (25 %) whilst aquaculture produced 1,017,738 (75 %) tonnes in 2012. Fisheries in Egypt’s northern lakes were the most important (36 %) followed by marine fisheries in the Mediterranean and Red Seas (32 %), which had the greatest variations in catch. The main decline in wild fisheries was due to the reduced landings from both marine and northern lake fisheries. Egypt has a wide variety of marine and freshwater species, comprising Sardina pilchardus, Penaeus japonicus, Mugil cephalus, and Saurida undosquamis, etc.; while Oreochromis niloticus, Clarias gariepinus are the main cultured species. The Egyptian fishing fleet increased by over 40 % from 3415 motorised vessels in 1997–4909 vessels in 2012. Most of these (3046 vessels, 62 %) fish in the Mediterranean, while the rest (1863 vessels, 38 %) fish in the Red Sea. Longlines were the fishing gear most used by the motorised vessels (45 %), followed by trawlers (26 %). Policy during the past few decades has been development-oriented, encouraging investment in aquaculture to ensure sustainable fish production, rather than managing wild fisheries in a sustainable way. Despite vigorous efforts through national legislation to address fishery management issues, the weak enforcement, low compliance and unregulated fishing suggest the need to restructure the fisheries management system. The main fisheries stakeholders (policy makers, scientists and fishery managers) should consider the different scales of these fisheries and the context in which they operate, in order to develop suitable management strategies.

Journal

Reviews in Fish Biology and FisheriesSpringer Journals

Published: Oct 23, 2015

References

  • Monitoring of waste water samples using the ECOTOX biosystem and the flagellate alga Euglena gracilis
    Ahmed, H; Häder, DP
  • Effects of fishing pressure and trophic group on abundance and spillover across boundaries of a no-take zone
    Ashworth, JS; Ormond, RFG

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 18 million articles from more than
15,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Search

Query the DeepDyve database, plus search all of PubMed and Google Scholar seamlessly

Organize

Save any article or search result from DeepDyve, PubMed, and Google Scholar... all in one place.

Access

Get unlimited, online access to over 18 million full-text articles from more than 15,000 scientific journals.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve

Freelancer

DeepDyve

Pro

Price

FREE

$49/month
$360/year

Save searches from
Google Scholar,
PubMed

Create lists to
organize your research

Export lists, citations

Read DeepDyve articles

Abstract access only

Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles

Print

20 pages / month

PDF Discount

20% off