Small Business Economics
: 197, 1998.
SPECIAL RESEARCH FORUM CALL FOR PAPERS:
STRATEGIC ALLIANCE FORMATION, USE AND OUTCOMES
SMALL BUSINESS ECONOMICS: AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL is pleased to announce a special
research form on the topic of strategic alliance formation, use, and outcomes. The guest editor will be
K. Mark Weaver. Deadline for submission is June 1, 1998. The special issue expects to publish 6 to 8
articles addressing the emerging issues, outcomes of alliance activity and related topics.
Small and medium-sized firms have become increasingly important in the economic activities of both
developed and developing nations. Small Business Economics provides the central forum for the economic
analysis of the role of small and medium sized firms. The journal is cross-disciplinary and cross-national
in its approach.
SME based cooperative behavior is proposed to be a special case of general models of inter firm coop-
eration and activities considered to be strategic alliances. This special issue proposes to examine the
changes in world markets that motivate alliance formation; what makes the alliances succeed; and what
differences exist across sectors and countries.
To be considered manuscripts must focus on strategic alliances at the individual, group firm and/or the
inter-organizational levels. Manuscripts can be theoretical or empirical but must address key theoretical
foundations. Quantitative, qualitative, combinations, or novel methods will be given the highest priority
Potential topics include:
• Assessment of alliance activity in SMEs in different sectors, geographical areas, or countries
• Comparisons of firms engaged in alliances and firms which are not
• Attitudes and opinions of key decision leaders involved in the alliances
• Examination of country specific issues or examples
• Impact of alliances on competitiveness
• Differences in decisions making processes by firm size, sector, country or . . .
• Cultural differences that influence alliances
• Examination of alliance activities in industrial districts or clusters
• Your creative approach to the topic of strategic alliances
Each manuscript should include a concluding section entitled “Implications for Research and
Management”. All submissions should be original works that have not appeared elsewhere.
Information for Authors: Please consult Small Business Economics style and submissions guides.
Four copies of all manuscripts should be submtitted by June 1, 1998, to:
Dr. K. Mark Weaver Telephone: +1 205 348-8947
University of Alabama Fax: +1 205 348-6695
P.O. 870225 E-mail: email@example.com
Tusculuosa, Alabama 35487