SMN1 gene point mutations in type I–IV proximal spinal muscular atrophy patients with a single copy of SMN1

SMN1 gene point mutations in type I–IV proximal spinal muscular atrophy patients with a single... Type I–IV proximal spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is one of the most common autosomal-recessive diseases, which are characterized in the majority of cases by a severely disabling course. Proximal SMA results from mutations in the telomeric copy of SMN1 gene. Major SMN1 gene mutation types are deletions in the exons 7 and/or 8, which were revealed to be in the homozygous state in 95% of patients. Deletions in the indicated exons of SMN1 gene were revealed in a compound-heterozygous state in combination with intragenic point mutations in the remainder 5% of proximal SMA cases. In the present study, we performed an analysis of point mutations in eight patients with type I–III proximal SMA phenotype, which had a deletion in 7–8-exons of SMN1 gene in the heterozygous state. We revealed seven different mutations, two of which (c.824G>C (p.Gly275Ala) and c.825-2A>T) are described here for the first time. In addition, mutation c.824G>C (p.Gly275Ala) was observed twice in the examined sample. In seven cases a heterozygous carrier of point mutations was one of the parents of the affected children (in six cases, the father; in one case, the mother). Only one mutation, c.43C>T (p.Gln15X), emerged de novo in a generative cell or male cell of the child’s father. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Russian Journal of Genetics Springer Journals

SMN1 gene point mutations in type I–IV proximal spinal muscular atrophy patients with a single copy of SMN1

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/smn1-gene-point-mutations-in-type-i-iv-proximal-spinal-muscular-cTxtd3NyfQ
Publisher
Pleiades Publishing
Copyright
Copyright © 2015 by Pleiades Publishing, Inc.
Subject
Biomedicine; Human Genetics; Animal Genetics and Genomics; Microbial Genetics and Genomics
ISSN
1022-7954
eISSN
1608-3369
D.O.I.
10.1134/S1022795415080128
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Type I–IV proximal spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is one of the most common autosomal-recessive diseases, which are characterized in the majority of cases by a severely disabling course. Proximal SMA results from mutations in the telomeric copy of SMN1 gene. Major SMN1 gene mutation types are deletions in the exons 7 and/or 8, which were revealed to be in the homozygous state in 95% of patients. Deletions in the indicated exons of SMN1 gene were revealed in a compound-heterozygous state in combination with intragenic point mutations in the remainder 5% of proximal SMA cases. In the present study, we performed an analysis of point mutations in eight patients with type I–III proximal SMA phenotype, which had a deletion in 7–8-exons of SMN1 gene in the heterozygous state. We revealed seven different mutations, two of which (c.824G>C (p.Gly275Ala) and c.825-2A>T) are described here for the first time. In addition, mutation c.824G>C (p.Gly275Ala) was observed twice in the examined sample. In seven cases a heterozygous carrier of point mutations was one of the parents of the affected children (in six cases, the father; in one case, the mother). Only one mutation, c.43C>T (p.Gln15X), emerged de novo in a generative cell or male cell of the child’s father.

Journal

Russian Journal of GeneticsSpringer Journals

Published: Sep 15, 2015

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

Monthly Plan

  • Read unlimited articles
  • Personalized recommendations
  • No expiration
  • Print 20 pages per month
  • 20% off on PDF purchases
  • Organize your research
  • Get updates on your journals and topic searches

$49/month

Start Free Trial

14-day Free Trial

Best Deal — 39% off

Annual Plan

  • All the features of the Professional Plan, but for 39% off!
  • Billed annually
  • No expiration
  • For the normal price of 10 articles elsewhere, you get one full year of unlimited access to articles.

$588

$360/year

billed annually
Start Free Trial

14-day Free Trial