Pulse-radiolysis studies of nimesulide in aqueous solution: effect of microheterogeneous media

Pulse-radiolysis studies of nimesulide in aqueous solution: effect of microheterogeneous media Nimesulide, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, forms semi-oxidized species (λmax = 350 nm) on reaction with N·3 and CCl3OO· in aqueous solution. Their oxidizing nature is confirmed by their ability to undergo an electron-transfer reaction with ABTS2-, the rate constant for the reaction k = 4.7 × 109 dm3 mol-1 s-1. ·OH-adduct constitutes about 94% of the species formed on reaction with ·OH radicals, the remaining 5-6% species are oxidizing in nature. The rate constant for the formation of ·OH-adduct, i.e. k(·OH + Nim-NO2) = 2.8 × 1010 dm3 mol-1 s-1. Oxygen adds to both e- aq and ·OH-adducts of nimesulide with rate constants of 9.5 × 106 dm3 mol-1 s-1 and 1.4 × 107 dm3 mol-1 s-1, respectively. In the presence of cyclodextrins the nature of the transient species formed is much the same. Binding constants of the drug with CDs are generally quite low in comparison to BSA and range between 37 and 390 dm3 mol-1. Hydrated electrons add on to nimesulide at the nitro group forming a semi-reduced species with λmax = 320 and 500 nm. The rate constant k for this reaction is 1.4 × 1010 dm3 mol-1 s-1. The transient species formed on reaction of e- aq or (CH3)·2COH radicals with nimesulide seem to be identical, as is seen from their decay rates. The reduction potential of nimesulide for the couple (Nim-NO2/Nim-NO·2 -) is found to be -0.52 V vs. NHE at pH 7, by cyclic voltammetric and pulse radiolysis techniques. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Research on Chemical Intermediates Springer Journals

Pulse-radiolysis studies of nimesulide in aqueous solution: effect of microheterogeneous media

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/pulse-radiolysis-studies-of-nimesulide-in-aqueous-solution-effect-of-zmv0KbxyWP
Publisher
Brill Academic Publishers
Copyright
Copyright © 2003 by VSP 2003
Subject
Chemistry; Inorganic Chemistry; Physical Chemistry
ISSN
0922-6168
eISSN
1568-5675
D.O.I.
10.1163/156856703322149044
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Nimesulide, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, forms semi-oxidized species (λmax = 350 nm) on reaction with N·3 and CCl3OO· in aqueous solution. Their oxidizing nature is confirmed by their ability to undergo an electron-transfer reaction with ABTS2-, the rate constant for the reaction k = 4.7 × 109 dm3 mol-1 s-1. ·OH-adduct constitutes about 94% of the species formed on reaction with ·OH radicals, the remaining 5-6% species are oxidizing in nature. The rate constant for the formation of ·OH-adduct, i.e. k(·OH + Nim-NO2) = 2.8 × 1010 dm3 mol-1 s-1. Oxygen adds to both e- aq and ·OH-adducts of nimesulide with rate constants of 9.5 × 106 dm3 mol-1 s-1 and 1.4 × 107 dm3 mol-1 s-1, respectively. In the presence of cyclodextrins the nature of the transient species formed is much the same. Binding constants of the drug with CDs are generally quite low in comparison to BSA and range between 37 and 390 dm3 mol-1. Hydrated electrons add on to nimesulide at the nitro group forming a semi-reduced species with λmax = 320 and 500 nm. The rate constant k for this reaction is 1.4 × 1010 dm3 mol-1 s-1. The transient species formed on reaction of e- aq or (CH3)·2COH radicals with nimesulide seem to be identical, as is seen from their decay rates. The reduction potential of nimesulide for the couple (Nim-NO2/Nim-NO·2 -) is found to be -0.52 V vs. NHE at pH 7, by cyclic voltammetric and pulse radiolysis techniques.

Journal

Research on Chemical IntermediatesSpringer Journals

Published: Oct 17, 2004

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve Freelancer

DeepDyve Pro

Price
FREE
$49/month

$360/year
Save searches from Google Scholar, PubMed
Create lists to organize your research
Export lists, citations
Read DeepDyve articles
Abstract access only
Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles
Print
20 pages/month
PDF Discount
20% off