Predicting early spelling: the contribution of children’s early literacy, private speech during spelling, behavioral regulation, and parental spelling support

Predicting early spelling: the contribution of children’s early literacy, private speech during... The present study aimed to extend understanding of preschoolers’ early spelling using the Vygotskian (Mind in society: the development of higher psychological processes, Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1978) paradigm of child development. We assessed the contribution of maternal spelling support in predicting children’s word spelling level beyond the contribution of three internal child measures: early literacy (phonological awareness and letter naming), private speech while spelling (self-directed talk), and behavioral regulation. Children’s private speech during spelling—their tool to regulate thinking—has not yet been studied in the early literacy context. Fifty Israeli preschoolers (M = 68.66 months) of middle-high SES were videotaped while spelling words with their mothers and while spelling these words independently. Children’s phonological awareness, letter naming, and behavioral regulation were assessed individually. Results showed that children’s internal measures (early literacy, private speech while spelling, and behavioral regulation) predicted children’s early spelling (63 % of the variance), and the external measure of maternal spelling support added uniquely (12 %), together explaining 75 % of the variance in children’s spelling level. Findings suggested that mothers adjust their spelling support to meet young children’s existing literacy skills but also coach children to strive toward higher spelling performance. Furthermore, the study illuminates the role of a new measure in the context of children’s early literacy—private speech during spelling. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Reading and Writing Springer Journals

Predicting early spelling: the contribution of children’s early literacy, private speech during spelling, behavioral regulation, and parental spelling support

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/predicting-early-spelling-the-contribution-of-children-s-early-UxC1FLGGgg
Publisher
Springer Netherlands
Copyright
Copyright © 2013 by Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht
Subject
Linguistics; Languages and Literature; Psycholinguistics; Education (general); Neurology; Interdisciplinary Studies
ISSN
0922-4777
eISSN
1573-0905
D.O.I.
10.1007/s11145-013-9466-z
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

The present study aimed to extend understanding of preschoolers’ early spelling using the Vygotskian (Mind in society: the development of higher psychological processes, Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1978) paradigm of child development. We assessed the contribution of maternal spelling support in predicting children’s word spelling level beyond the contribution of three internal child measures: early literacy (phonological awareness and letter naming), private speech while spelling (self-directed talk), and behavioral regulation. Children’s private speech during spelling—their tool to regulate thinking—has not yet been studied in the early literacy context. Fifty Israeli preschoolers (M = 68.66 months) of middle-high SES were videotaped while spelling words with their mothers and while spelling these words independently. Children’s phonological awareness, letter naming, and behavioral regulation were assessed individually. Results showed that children’s internal measures (early literacy, private speech while spelling, and behavioral regulation) predicted children’s early spelling (63 % of the variance), and the external measure of maternal spelling support added uniquely (12 %), together explaining 75 % of the variance in children’s spelling level. Findings suggested that mothers adjust their spelling support to meet young children’s existing literacy skills but also coach children to strive toward higher spelling performance. Furthermore, the study illuminates the role of a new measure in the context of children’s early literacy—private speech during spelling.

Journal

Reading and WritingSpringer Journals

Published: Aug 7, 2013

References

  • The role of maternal mediation of writing to kindergartners in promoting literacy in school: A longitudinal perspective
    Aram, D; Levin, I

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve Freelancer

DeepDyve Pro

Price
FREE
$49/month

$360/year
Save searches from
Google Scholar,
PubMed
Create lists to
organize your research
Export lists, citations
Read DeepDyve articles
Abstract access only
Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles
Print
20 pages/month
PDF Discount
20% off