Management and outcome of children and adolescents with non-medulloblastoma CNS embryonal tumors in Spain: room for improvement in standards of care

Management and outcome of children and adolescents with non-medulloblastoma CNS embryonal tumors... Non-medulloblastoma CNS embryonal tumors (former PNET/Pineoblastomas) are aggressive malignancies with poor outcome that have been historically treated with medulloblastoma protocols. The purpose of this study is to present a tumor-specific, real-world data cohort of patients with CNS-PNET/PB to analyze quality indicators that can be implemented to improve the outcome of these patients. Patients 0–21 years with CNS-PNET treated in eight large institutions were included. Baseline characteristics, treatment and outcome [progression-free and overall survival (PFS and OS respectively)] were analyzed. From 2005 to 2014, 43 patients fulfilled entry criteria. Median age at diagnosis was 3.6 years (range 0.0–14.7). Histology was pineoblastoma (9%), ependymoblastoma (5%), ETANTR (7%) and PNET (77%). Median duration of the main symptom was 2 weeks (range 0–12). At diagnosis, 28% presented with metastatic disease. Seventeen different protocols were used on frontline treatment; 44% had gross total resection, 42% craniospinal radiotherapy, 86% chemotherapy, and 33% autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (aHSCT). Median follow-up for survivors was 3.5 years (range 1.7–9.3). 3-year PFS was 31.9% (95% CI 17–47%) and OS 35.1% (95% CI 20–50%). Age, extent of resection and radiotherapy were prognostic of PFS and OS in univariate analysis (p < 0.05). Our series shows a dismal outcome for CNS-PNET, especially when compared to patients included in clinical trials. Establishing a common national strategy, implementing referral circuits and collaboration networks, and incorporating new molecular knowledge into routine clinical practice are accessible measures that can improve the outcome of these patients. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Journal of Neuro-Oncology Springer Journals
Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/management-and-outcome-of-children-and-adolescents-with-non-Fm9g2cqCBV
Publisher
Springer US
Copyright
Copyright © 2017 by Springer Science+Business Media, LLC, part of Springer Nature
Subject
Medicine & Public Health; Oncology; Neurology
ISSN
0167-594X
eISSN
1573-7373
D.O.I.
10.1007/s11060-017-2713-4
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Non-medulloblastoma CNS embryonal tumors (former PNET/Pineoblastomas) are aggressive malignancies with poor outcome that have been historically treated with medulloblastoma protocols. The purpose of this study is to present a tumor-specific, real-world data cohort of patients with CNS-PNET/PB to analyze quality indicators that can be implemented to improve the outcome of these patients. Patients 0–21 years with CNS-PNET treated in eight large institutions were included. Baseline characteristics, treatment and outcome [progression-free and overall survival (PFS and OS respectively)] were analyzed. From 2005 to 2014, 43 patients fulfilled entry criteria. Median age at diagnosis was 3.6 years (range 0.0–14.7). Histology was pineoblastoma (9%), ependymoblastoma (5%), ETANTR (7%) and PNET (77%). Median duration of the main symptom was 2 weeks (range 0–12). At diagnosis, 28% presented with metastatic disease. Seventeen different protocols were used on frontline treatment; 44% had gross total resection, 42% craniospinal radiotherapy, 86% chemotherapy, and 33% autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (aHSCT). Median follow-up for survivors was 3.5 years (range 1.7–9.3). 3-year PFS was 31.9% (95% CI 17–47%) and OS 35.1% (95% CI 20–50%). Age, extent of resection and radiotherapy were prognostic of PFS and OS in univariate analysis (p < 0.05). Our series shows a dismal outcome for CNS-PNET, especially when compared to patients included in clinical trials. Establishing a common national strategy, implementing referral circuits and collaboration networks, and incorporating new molecular knowledge into routine clinical practice are accessible measures that can improve the outcome of these patients.

Journal

Journal of Neuro-OncologySpringer Journals

Published: Dec 16, 2017

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 18 million articles from more than
15,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Search

Query the DeepDyve database, plus search all of PubMed and Google Scholar seamlessly

Organize

Save any article or search result from DeepDyve, PubMed, and Google Scholar... all in one place.

Access

Get unlimited, online access to over 18 million full-text articles from more than 15,000 scientific journals.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve

Freelancer

DeepDyve

Pro

Price

FREE

$49/month
$360/year

Save searches from
Google Scholar,
PubMed

Create lists to
organize your research

Export lists, citations

Read DeepDyve articles

Abstract access only

Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles

Print

20 pages / month

PDF Discount

20% off