Macrobenthos of Accumulative Plains and Slopes of Ekspeditsii Bay (Pos'eta Bay, Sea of Japan)

Macrobenthos of Accumulative Plains and Slopes of Ekspeditsii Bay (Pos'eta Bay, Sea of Japan) The submarine accumulative plain of Ekspeditsii Bay is heterogeneous in terms of ground pattern and the composition and biomass of macrobenthos. The smallest values of the total biomass are characteristic of soft pelites (58.9 g/m2), siltstone pelites (55.9 g/m2), and pelites with an insignificant admixture of broken mollusk shells (108 g/m2). The greatest total biomass (649.2 g/m2) is registered around biogerms, in bottom areas composed of pelites with large fragments and entire valves of mollusk shells. On accumulative slopes of the bay, in the community of seagrasses, Zostera marina constitutes 90% of the biomass and macrofauna provides the remaining 10%. The values of the total biomass of macrobenthos of the accumulative plain and macroflora of the accumulative slopes of the bay are close to each other (about 12 000 tons); however, both values are only 0.4 times as great as the biomass of macrobenthos on biogerms that occupy only 6.2% of the total bottom area in the bay. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Russian Journal of Marine Biology Springer Journals

Macrobenthos of Accumulative Plains and Slopes of Ekspeditsii Bay (Pos'eta Bay, Sea of Japan)

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/macrobenthos-of-accumulative-plains-and-slopes-of-ekspeditsii-bay-pos-t1F5URZaV4
Publisher
Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
Copyright
Copyright © 2002 by MAIK “Nauka/Interperiodica”
Subject
Life Sciences; Freshwater & Marine Ecology
ISSN
1063-0740
eISSN
1608-3377
D.O.I.
10.1023/A:1020962232664
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

The submarine accumulative plain of Ekspeditsii Bay is heterogeneous in terms of ground pattern and the composition and biomass of macrobenthos. The smallest values of the total biomass are characteristic of soft pelites (58.9 g/m2), siltstone pelites (55.9 g/m2), and pelites with an insignificant admixture of broken mollusk shells (108 g/m2). The greatest total biomass (649.2 g/m2) is registered around biogerms, in bottom areas composed of pelites with large fragments and entire valves of mollusk shells. On accumulative slopes of the bay, in the community of seagrasses, Zostera marina constitutes 90% of the biomass and macrofauna provides the remaining 10%. The values of the total biomass of macrobenthos of the accumulative plain and macroflora of the accumulative slopes of the bay are close to each other (about 12 000 tons); however, both values are only 0.4 times as great as the biomass of macrobenthos on biogerms that occupy only 6.2% of the total bottom area in the bay.

Journal

Russian Journal of Marine BiologySpringer Journals

Published: Oct 13, 2004

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve Freelancer

DeepDyve Pro

Price
FREE
$49/month

$360/year
Save searches from
Google Scholar,
PubMed
Create lists to
organize your research
Export lists, citations
Read DeepDyve articles
Abstract access only
Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles
Print
20 pages/month
PDF Discount
20% off