Effect of Cooling On Cell Volume and Viability After Nanoelectroporation

Effect of Cooling On Cell Volume and Viability After Nanoelectroporation Electric pulses of nanosecond duration (nsEP) are emerging as a new modality for tissue ablation. Plasma membrane permeabilization by nsEP may cause osmotic imbalance, water uptake, cell swelling, and eventual membrane rupture. The present study was aimed to increase the cytotoxicity of nsEP by fostering water uptake and cell swelling. This aim was accomplished by lowering temperature after nsEP application, which delayed the membrane resealing and/or suppressed the cell volume mechanisms. The cell diameter in U-937 monocytes exposed to a train of 50, 300-ns pulses (100 Hz, 7 kV/cm) at room temperature and then incubated on ice for 30 min increased by 5.6 +/− 0.7 μm (40–50%), which contrasted little or no changes (1 +/− 0.3 μm, <10%) if the incubation was at 37 °C. Neither this nsEP dose nor the 30-min cooling caused cell death when applied separately; however, their combination reduced cell survival to about 60% in 1.5–3 h. Isosmotic addition of a pore-impermeable solute (sucrose) to the extracellular medium blocked cell swelling and rescued the cells, thereby pointing to swelling as a primary cause of membrane rupture and cell death. Cooling after nsEP exposure can potentially be employed in medical practice to assist tissue and tumor ablation. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png The Journal of Membrane Biology Springer Journals

Effect of Cooling On Cell Volume and Viability After Nanoelectroporation

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/effect-of-cooling-on-cell-volume-and-viability-after-ADapTveLRM
Publisher
Springer US
Copyright
Copyright © 2017 by Springer Science+Business Media New York
Subject
Life Sciences; Biochemistry, general; Human Physiology
ISSN
0022-2631
eISSN
1432-1424
D.O.I.
10.1007/s00232-017-9952-3
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

Monthly Plan

  • Read unlimited articles
  • Personalized recommendations
  • No expiration
  • Print 20 pages per month
  • 20% off on PDF purchases
  • Organize your research
  • Get updates on your journals and topic searches

$49/month

Start Free Trial

14-day Free Trial

Best Deal — 39% off

Annual Plan

  • All the features of the Professional Plan, but for 39% off!
  • Billed annually
  • No expiration
  • For the normal price of 10 articles elsewhere, you get one full year of unlimited access to articles.

$588

$360/year

billed annually
Start Free Trial

14-day Free Trial