Dimorphism of Spermatozoa in the Sea Urchin Strongylocentrotus nudus

Dimorphism of Spermatozoa in the Sea Urchin Strongylocentrotus nudus A phenomenon of dimorphism in spermatozoa has been revealed for the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus nudus. The spermatozoa are different in the configuration of the circular mitochondrion. The bulk of male gametes (73.4%) have a symmetrical mitochondrion, whereas the remainder spermatozoa (26.6%) have an asymmetrical one. No other ultrastructural differences in the structure of spermatozoa have been revealed. The two types of spermatozoa are supposed to represent different kinds of normal gametes capable of fertilization. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Russian Journal of Marine Biology Springer Journals

Dimorphism of Spermatozoa in the Sea Urchin Strongylocentrotus nudus

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer_journal/dimorphism-of-spermatozoa-in-the-sea-urchin-strongylocentrotus-nudus-cgpVgzcwXQ
Publisher
Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
Copyright
Copyright © 2004 by MAIK “Nauka/Interperiodica”
Subject
Life Sciences; Freshwater & Marine Ecology
ISSN
1063-0740
eISSN
1608-3377
D.O.I.
10.1023/B:RUMB.0000046554.82986.11
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

A phenomenon of dimorphism in spermatozoa has been revealed for the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus nudus. The spermatozoa are different in the configuration of the circular mitochondrion. The bulk of male gametes (73.4%) have a symmetrical mitochondrion, whereas the remainder spermatozoa (26.6%) have an asymmetrical one. No other ultrastructural differences in the structure of spermatozoa have been revealed. The two types of spermatozoa are supposed to represent different kinds of normal gametes capable of fertilization.

Journal

Russian Journal of Marine BiologySpringer Journals

Published: Nov 19, 2004

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve Freelancer

DeepDyve Pro

Price
FREE
$49/month

$360/year
Save searches from Google Scholar, PubMed
Create lists to organize your research
Export lists, citations
Read DeepDyve articles
Abstract access only
Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles
Print
20 pages/month
PDF Discount
20% off