Background Valproate is a widely prescribed antiepileptic drug for generalized epilepsies, due to the extensive knowledge on its efficacy since it is on the market for many decades. However, a large number of new antiepileptic medicines was introduced into clinical practice and may be better options for treatment, considering that these medicines differ in terms of efficacy spectrum. Despite extensive research, questions regarding which medicine would constitute the first option for the monotherapy treatment of generalized epilepsy remain. Aim of the Review To compare the relative efficacy of all available antiepileptic drugs in the monotherapy treatment of generalized epileptic seizures; and also to compare all antiepoileptig drugs with valproate, which is the current first-line treatment for generalized epilepsy. Methods A systematic review for randomized controlled clinical trials was performed. Network meta-analyses used Bayesian random effects model. Sensitivity analyses determined the results´ robustness. The relative probability of two efficacy outcomes (“Seizure free” and “Therapeutic inefficacy”) to happen for each medcicine was calculated using the Surface Under the Cumulative Ranking Curve. Results Seven papers (1809 patients) studied the efficacy of valproate, lamotrigine, phenytoin, carbamazepine, topiramate, levetiracetam, and phenobarbital in the treatment of generalized tonicclonic, tonic, and clonic seizures. Phenytoin demonstrated to be inferior to valproate in leaving the patient free of these seizures types [OR: 0.50 (95% CrI 0.27, 0.87)]. Lamotrigine (61%) showed the highest probability of presenting the outcome “Seizure free”, followed by levetiracetam (47%), topiramate (44%), and valproate (38%) in the treatment of generalized tonic–clonic, tonic, and clonic seizures. Meanwhile, valproate exhibited greater chance of presenting the outcome “Therapeutic inefficacy” (62%). Regarding absence seizures itself, there was no difference in the efficacy of lamotrigine and ethosuximide when compared to valproate. However, the ranking indicates that ethosuximide (52%) and valproate (47%) are both more likely than lamotrigine to keep the patient free of seizures. Conclusions Lamotrigine, levetiracetam, and topiramate are as effective as valproate for treating generalized tonic–clonic, tonic, and clonic seizures. Meanwhile, valproate and ethosuximide are the best options for the treatment of absence seizures promoting better control of seizures, which is the primary goal of pharmacotherapy.
International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy – Springer Journals
Published: May 9, 2018
It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.
Enjoy affordable access to
over 18 million articles from more than
15,000 peer-reviewed journals.
All for just $49/month
Query the DeepDyve database, plus search all of PubMed and Google Scholar seamlessly
Save any article or search result from DeepDyve, PubMed, and Google Scholar... all in one place.
Get unlimited, online access to over 18 million full-text articles from more than 15,000 scientific journals.
Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.
All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.
“Hi guys, I cannot tell you how much I love this resource. Incredible. I really believe you've hit the nail on the head with this site in regards to solving the research-purchase issue.”Daniel C.
“Whoa! It’s like Spotify but for academic articles.”@Phil_Robichaud
“I must say, @deepdyve is a fabulous solution to the independent researcher's problem of #access to #information.”@deepthiw
“My last article couldn't be possible without the platform @deepdyve that makes journal papers cheaper.”@JoseServera