Arch Virol (2005) 150: 189–198
Changes to virus taxonomy 2004
M. A. Mayo (ICTV Secretary)
Scottish Crop Research Institute, Invergowrie, Dundee, U.K.
Received July 30, 2004; accepted September 25, 2004
Published online November 10, 2004
This note presents a compilation of recent changes to virus taxonomy decided by voting by
the ICTV membership following recommendations from the ICTV Executive Committee.
The changes are presented in the Table as decisions promoted by the Subcommittees of the
EC and are grouped according to the major hosts of the viruses involved.
These new taxa will be presented in more detail in the 8
ICTV Report scheduled to be
published near the end of 2004 (Fauquet et al., 2004). Fauquet, C.M., Mayo, M.A., Maniloff,
J., Desselberger, U., and Ball, L.A. (eds) (2004). Virus Taxonomy, VIIIth Report of the ICTV.
Elsevier/Academic Press, London, pp. 1258.
Recent changes to virus taxonomy
Viruses of vertebrates
• Designate Cupixi virus as a species in the genus Arenavirus
• Designate Bear Canyon virus as a species in the genus Arenavirus
• Designate Allpahuayo virus as a species in the genus Arenavirus
• Assign Blotched snakehead virus as an unassigned species in family Birnaviridae
• Create a new genus (Anellovirus) with Torque teno virus as type species
• Recognize a new species Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus in the genus Coro-
navirus, family Coronaviridae, order Nidovirales
• Rename the genus “HEV-like viruses” Hepevirus