Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

The Introduction of Deaconess Nurses at the German Hospital of the City of Philadelphia in the 1880s

The Introduction of Deaconess Nurses at the German Hospital of the City of Philadelphia in the 1880s <p>In 1884, seven deaconesses from Iserlohn, Germany, came to the Philadelphia German Hospital to take over nursing care and hospital administration. This article deals with the preparation and implementation of deaconess rule at the German Hospital and conflicts during the tenure of the first two Sisters Superior, Marie Krueger (1826–1887) and Wanda von Oertzen (1845–1897). Recruitment of the deaconesses took place within a network of relations between German and American motherhouses. Before their arrival in Philadelphia, the benefactor of the German Hospital, John D. Lankenau (1817–1901), had committed himself to hospital rule by the Sister Superior. A Deaconess Committee was created to deal with the opposition of the Medical Board. Introducing deaconesses to the Philadelphia German Hospital led to a major change of medical personnel and allowed the hospital to develop a new corporate identity.</p> http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Nursing History Review Springer Publishing

The Introduction of Deaconess Nurses at the German Hospital of the City of Philadelphia in the 1880s

Nursing History Review , Volume 18 (1): 22 – Jan 1, 2010

Loading next page...
 
/lp/springer-publishing/the-introduction-of-deaconess-nurses-at-the-german-hospital-of-the-JjZNkgt3wu
Publisher
Springer Publishing
ISSN
1062-8061
eISSN
1938-1913
DOI
10.1891/1062-8061.18.29
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

<p>In 1884, seven deaconesses from Iserlohn, Germany, came to the Philadelphia German Hospital to take over nursing care and hospital administration. This article deals with the preparation and implementation of deaconess rule at the German Hospital and conflicts during the tenure of the first two Sisters Superior, Marie Krueger (1826–1887) and Wanda von Oertzen (1845–1897). Recruitment of the deaconesses took place within a network of relations between German and American motherhouses. Before their arrival in Philadelphia, the benefactor of the German Hospital, John D. Lankenau (1817–1901), had committed himself to hospital rule by the Sister Superior. A Deaconess Committee was created to deal with the opposition of the Medical Board. Introducing deaconesses to the Philadelphia German Hospital led to a major change of medical personnel and allowed the hospital to develop a new corporate identity.</p>

Journal

Nursing History ReviewSpringer Publishing

Published: Jan 1, 2010

There are no references for this article.