Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

Trade Announcements

Trade Announcements E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd. will be respon­ sible for the world-wide distribution of the well-known C.V.A. Single Spindle Automatic Machines, Gear Hobbing Machines, Toolroom Lathes, Vertical Mill­ ing and Die-sinking Machines, Dicing Presses and Under this heading are published monthly news of recent professional appointments, Injection Moulding Machines. Mr. E. Aron, Managing Director of C.V.A., has industrial developments and business changes, etc. accepted a directorship on the board of E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd., and Mr. W. Hadley, who was previously Sales and Export Manager of the C.V.A. College of Aeronautics The new body will be known as the Institute Machine Tool Division, has been appointed General of Economic Engineering (incorporating the Pro­ Sales Manager. Thus Mr. Hadley rejoins the com­ The Board of Governors of the College of pany with whom he was associated for many years duction Control Research Group) and its chief Aeronautics have appointed G/Capt. R. C. prior to his appointment with C.V.A. office will still be at 28 Victoria Street, London, Hockey, D.S.O., D.F.C., as Head of the Depart­ Mr. T. J. Corcoran, formerly technical sales repre­ S.W.1. ment of Flight and Mr. N. S. Muir, B.Sc., sentative for the Midland area of C.V.A., also joins The Rt. Hon. Lord Marley, D.S.C., J.P., D.L. A.F.R.Ae.S. as Head of the Department of Pro­ the staff of E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd., and will continue to be associated with the new body, pulsion. will specialize in the range of C.V.A. automatic the scope of which will be enlarged adequately to machines. G/Capt. Hockey, who prior to the war was cover research and education in production con­ Inspector of Accidents Air Ministry, joined the trol as well as the separate functions of motion The Northern Aluminium Co. R.A.F. Reserve in 1935 and was commissioned study and time study. in March, 1939. After a short period as Flying Changes in the executive personnel of The Northern Mr. E. Barrell, M.I.Ec.E., honorary general Aluminium Co. that have recently been announced Instructor he was engaged in special operations secretary of the Institute, having announced his are the appointment of Mr. E. V. Hill as General and then posted to Bomber Command. In 1943 he intention of resigning at the end of the year Sales Manager, Mr. T. E. Nixon to the management was posted to the Mediterranean Air Command to of the London Office and Mr. J. H. Mayes as manager due to business reasons, Mr. W. J. Worsdale, control and plan air operations in support of all of the Technical Development Department. A.M.I.I.A., M.I.Ec.E., will take over that office. resistance movements in the Mediterranean The Institute is engaged on a comprehensive Theatre. He returned to the United Kingdom in Philips Lamps Ltd. programme for the coming year which will cover 1944 and was engaged in planning and controlling Philips Lamps Ltd. announce that Mr. E. S. Wad- an increasing number of publications, an exten­ air operations prior to "D " Day. He was pro­ dington of that company has recently been appointed sion of the issue of the Journal, education and moted to G/Capt. in September, 1944—awarded Chairman of the Organization Committee of the examination courses, meetings, addresses and the D.F.C. 1942, D.S.O. 1943, Czech Military Society of Engineers, Vice-Chairman of the Finance discussion groups on a more ambitious scale. Cross 1942, Polish Cross of Valour 1944, an d has Committee of the Institute of Welding and to the completed nearly 4,000 hours flying in 75 different Council of the Sheet and Strip Metal Users Associa­ Production Engineering Research Association tion. types of aircraft—holds Pilots "B " and Naviga­ tors licences. Is a Member of the Guild of Air PER A is a D.S.I.R.-supported Research As­ Pilots, of the Royal Aeronautical Society and of sociation formed by the Institution of Production Specialloid Ltd. the Royal Meteorological Society. Engineers, the Machine Tool Trades Association, A Central London Sales Branch has been opened the Gauge and Tool Makers' Association, an d the by Specialloid Ltd. at 140/142 Great Portland Street, Mr. N. S. Muir was educated at Heriot's National Federation of Engineers' Tool Manu­ W.1, and in consequence the Guildford premises at School, Edinburgh, and began his engineering 89 Woodbridge Road have been transferred to Mobile facturers, with the object of assisting British training in 1915. In September, 1917 he entered Distributing (Pistons) Ltd. of Balham. The Stationery industry to improve its productive efficiency. The the Royal Flying Corps Cadet Wing and subse­ and Publicity Departments are now at Chester Road, researches carried out will cover the whole range quently served in the Royal Air Force as a pilot Boreham Wood, Elstree, Herts. Telephone: Elstree of production engineering activities, resulting in in 51 Squadron (Home Defence). Returning in improvement in the design and quality of produc­ 1919 he completed his apprenticeship and after­ tion equipment and also in the provision of tech­ wards graduated in mechanical engineering at Vacuum Oil Co. Ltd. nical data essential for the most efficient utiliza­ Edinburgh University in 1924. Mr. Muir joined Mr. A. L. Nickerson, chairman of the Vacuum Oil tion of such equipment. Membership of PERA is the staff of the Royal Aircraft Establishment in Company, Limited, has accepted an important assign­ therefore open not only to the manufacturers of February, 1925, initially in the Engine Drawing ment in the head office of the Socony-Vacuum Oil tools, machine tools, gauges, cutting fluids, etc., Office and Aerodynamics Department. In 1926 he Co. Inc., in New York, and will leave shortly for the but also to the users of this equipment in the transferred to the Engine Department where he United States to take up his new duties. whole engineering industry of the country, e.g. Mr. H. W. Rocke has been appointed managing served for 17 years. Fro m 1935 to 1942 Mr. Muir all makers of industrial plant, automobiles, air­ director of the Vacuum Oil Company Ltd. He has had was in charge of the Engine Flight Section of the craft, electrical industrial and domestic equip­ extensive experience with the firm since he joined Department which played a considerable part, in them in October, 1933, having held successively the ment, rolling stock, agricultural machinery, collaboration with British firms, in aero power positions of chief accountant, secretary and director. household utensils, etc. PERA was incorporated plant developments before and during the war, on June 13, 1946, and on July 1 took over the and in particular shared with the Rolls-Royce Aeronautical and Mechanical Investments Ltd. staff, equipment, and other assets of the Institu­ Company the early flight development work on tion of Production Engineers Research Depart­ Aeronautical and Mechanical Investments Ltd. the now famous Merlin engine. ment. The Director of Research is Dr. D. F. announce that the Licence Agreements between In December, 1942 Mr. Muir visited America Galloway and the address, Frederick Street, themselves and Messier, S.A. and Electro- as a member of the Technical Mission headed Loughborough, Leicestershire. Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. (formerly known as by Sir Roy Fedden and afterwards joined the Messier Aircraft Equipment Ltd.) have been can­ Directorate of Special Projects under Dr. Roxbee celled by mutual consent. Sir George Godfrey and Partners Cox. In May, 1944 Mr. Muir again visited the Electro-Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. are retaining United States as a member of the British Gas Tur­ Mr. Norman Anderson, who until recently was on a non-exclusive basis and for aeronautical bine Mission headed by Mr. Hayne Constant, and Assistant Chief Designer of the Auxiliaries Division application only the use of the following patents: of Rotol Limited, and has been concentrating on thereafter remained in Washington with the Brit­ 412,191 451,901 452,324 pressure cabin supercharging and air conditioning ish Air Commission as Chief of the Engine matters, has now joined Sir George Godfrey & Part­ 425,207 481,762 492,751 Development Branch dealing with technical ners Ltd., of Hanworth, as Chief Designer. 456,863 527,225 539,807 liaison and exchange of information with the This company have recently augmented their tech­ 468,196 American authorities on aircraft gas turbine and nical staff and Mr. Anderson will take over leadership Electro-Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. are also re­ jet propulsion developments which were becom­ of a team which is well versed in the problems taining limited non-exclusive licence rights in ing of vital importance at that stage of the war. attending the achievement of comfortable high-altitude respect of Patents Nos. 412,756 and 565,000. flight. Mr. Muir relinquished this post in September Electro-Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. are taking this year on his release by the Ministry of Supply steps to delete the word "Messier" from their The Hoffmann Manufacturing Co. Ltd. to return to England to join the staff of the Col­ title and the Messier Eagle, formerly used by lege of Aeronautics. The Hoffmann Manufacturing Co., Ltd., of Messier Aircraft Equipment Ltd., will be placed Chelmsford, Essex, are opening a branch office at At the invitation of Miss Ellen Wilkinson, at the disposal of Aeronautical and Mechanical 4 Salisbury Square, Salisbury Road, Cardiff (tele­ Minister of Education, the Government of Aus­ phone: Cardiff 9318; telegrams: Hoffmann, Cardiff), Investments Ltd. tralia have appointed Air Commodore U. E. under the direction of one of their qualified engineers. Ewart, R.A.A.F., to be their representative on the An emergency stock of ball and roller bearings will Gloster Aircraft Company Board of Governors of the College of Aeronautics. be maintained there. Mr. Philip Stanbury, D.F.C., has been ap­ pointed Chief Test Pilot of Gloster Aircraft Com­ E. H. Jones and C.V.A. The Institute of Economic Engineering pany as from November 1, 1946. This will enable A close association has now been formed between The General Council of the Institute of Econo­ Mr. Eri c Greenwood, O.B.E., the present test pilot, E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd., of London, N.W.9, mic Engineering and the Executive Committee of to take charge of technical sales where his know­ and C.V.A. Jigs, Moulds & Tools Ltd., of Hove and the Production Control Research Group an­ ledge of high speed flight, probably unrivalled London, by which the two companies will work nounce an amalgamation between their two throughout the world, can be used to the indus­ together in future on the production and. sales of the bodies with effect from November 1, 1946. C.V.A. range of machine tools. try's maximum advantage. 434 Aircraft Engineering http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology Emerald Publishing

Trade Announcements

Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology , Volume 18 (12): 1 – Dec 1, 1946

Loading next page...
 
/lp/emerald-publishing/trade-announcements-WVyWxF22vR
Publisher
Emerald Publishing
Copyright
Copyright © Emerald Group Publishing Limited
ISSN
0002-2667
DOI
10.1108/eb031453
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd. will be respon­ sible for the world-wide distribution of the well-known C.V.A. Single Spindle Automatic Machines, Gear Hobbing Machines, Toolroom Lathes, Vertical Mill­ ing and Die-sinking Machines, Dicing Presses and Under this heading are published monthly news of recent professional appointments, Injection Moulding Machines. Mr. E. Aron, Managing Director of C.V.A., has industrial developments and business changes, etc. accepted a directorship on the board of E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd., and Mr. W. Hadley, who was previously Sales and Export Manager of the C.V.A. College of Aeronautics The new body will be known as the Institute Machine Tool Division, has been appointed General of Economic Engineering (incorporating the Pro­ Sales Manager. Thus Mr. Hadley rejoins the com­ The Board of Governors of the College of pany with whom he was associated for many years duction Control Research Group) and its chief Aeronautics have appointed G/Capt. R. C. prior to his appointment with C.V.A. office will still be at 28 Victoria Street, London, Hockey, D.S.O., D.F.C., as Head of the Depart­ Mr. T. J. Corcoran, formerly technical sales repre­ S.W.1. ment of Flight and Mr. N. S. Muir, B.Sc., sentative for the Midland area of C.V.A., also joins The Rt. Hon. Lord Marley, D.S.C., J.P., D.L. A.F.R.Ae.S. as Head of the Department of Pro­ the staff of E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd., and will continue to be associated with the new body, pulsion. will specialize in the range of C.V.A. automatic the scope of which will be enlarged adequately to machines. G/Capt. Hockey, who prior to the war was cover research and education in production con­ Inspector of Accidents Air Ministry, joined the trol as well as the separate functions of motion The Northern Aluminium Co. R.A.F. Reserve in 1935 and was commissioned study and time study. in March, 1939. After a short period as Flying Changes in the executive personnel of The Northern Mr. E. Barrell, M.I.Ec.E., honorary general Aluminium Co. that have recently been announced Instructor he was engaged in special operations secretary of the Institute, having announced his are the appointment of Mr. E. V. Hill as General and then posted to Bomber Command. In 1943 he intention of resigning at the end of the year Sales Manager, Mr. T. E. Nixon to the management was posted to the Mediterranean Air Command to of the London Office and Mr. J. H. Mayes as manager due to business reasons, Mr. W. J. Worsdale, control and plan air operations in support of all of the Technical Development Department. A.M.I.I.A., M.I.Ec.E., will take over that office. resistance movements in the Mediterranean The Institute is engaged on a comprehensive Theatre. He returned to the United Kingdom in Philips Lamps Ltd. programme for the coming year which will cover 1944 and was engaged in planning and controlling Philips Lamps Ltd. announce that Mr. E. S. Wad- an increasing number of publications, an exten­ air operations prior to "D " Day. He was pro­ dington of that company has recently been appointed sion of the issue of the Journal, education and moted to G/Capt. in September, 1944—awarded Chairman of the Organization Committee of the examination courses, meetings, addresses and the D.F.C. 1942, D.S.O. 1943, Czech Military Society of Engineers, Vice-Chairman of the Finance discussion groups on a more ambitious scale. Cross 1942, Polish Cross of Valour 1944, an d has Committee of the Institute of Welding and to the completed nearly 4,000 hours flying in 75 different Council of the Sheet and Strip Metal Users Associa­ Production Engineering Research Association tion. types of aircraft—holds Pilots "B " and Naviga­ tors licences. Is a Member of the Guild of Air PER A is a D.S.I.R.-supported Research As­ Pilots, of the Royal Aeronautical Society and of sociation formed by the Institution of Production Specialloid Ltd. the Royal Meteorological Society. Engineers, the Machine Tool Trades Association, A Central London Sales Branch has been opened the Gauge and Tool Makers' Association, an d the by Specialloid Ltd. at 140/142 Great Portland Street, Mr. N. S. Muir was educated at Heriot's National Federation of Engineers' Tool Manu­ W.1, and in consequence the Guildford premises at School, Edinburgh, and began his engineering 89 Woodbridge Road have been transferred to Mobile facturers, with the object of assisting British training in 1915. In September, 1917 he entered Distributing (Pistons) Ltd. of Balham. The Stationery industry to improve its productive efficiency. The the Royal Flying Corps Cadet Wing and subse­ and Publicity Departments are now at Chester Road, researches carried out will cover the whole range quently served in the Royal Air Force as a pilot Boreham Wood, Elstree, Herts. Telephone: Elstree of production engineering activities, resulting in in 51 Squadron (Home Defence). Returning in improvement in the design and quality of produc­ 1919 he completed his apprenticeship and after­ tion equipment and also in the provision of tech­ wards graduated in mechanical engineering at Vacuum Oil Co. Ltd. nical data essential for the most efficient utiliza­ Edinburgh University in 1924. Mr. Muir joined Mr. A. L. Nickerson, chairman of the Vacuum Oil tion of such equipment. Membership of PERA is the staff of the Royal Aircraft Establishment in Company, Limited, has accepted an important assign­ therefore open not only to the manufacturers of February, 1925, initially in the Engine Drawing ment in the head office of the Socony-Vacuum Oil tools, machine tools, gauges, cutting fluids, etc., Office and Aerodynamics Department. In 1926 he Co. Inc., in New York, and will leave shortly for the but also to the users of this equipment in the transferred to the Engine Department where he United States to take up his new duties. whole engineering industry of the country, e.g. Mr. H. W. Rocke has been appointed managing served for 17 years. Fro m 1935 to 1942 Mr. Muir all makers of industrial plant, automobiles, air­ director of the Vacuum Oil Company Ltd. He has had was in charge of the Engine Flight Section of the craft, electrical industrial and domestic equip­ extensive experience with the firm since he joined Department which played a considerable part, in them in October, 1933, having held successively the ment, rolling stock, agricultural machinery, collaboration with British firms, in aero power positions of chief accountant, secretary and director. household utensils, etc. PERA was incorporated plant developments before and during the war, on June 13, 1946, and on July 1 took over the and in particular shared with the Rolls-Royce Aeronautical and Mechanical Investments Ltd. staff, equipment, and other assets of the Institu­ Company the early flight development work on tion of Production Engineers Research Depart­ Aeronautical and Mechanical Investments Ltd. the now famous Merlin engine. ment. The Director of Research is Dr. D. F. announce that the Licence Agreements between In December, 1942 Mr. Muir visited America Galloway and the address, Frederick Street, themselves and Messier, S.A. and Electro- as a member of the Technical Mission headed Loughborough, Leicestershire. Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. (formerly known as by Sir Roy Fedden and afterwards joined the Messier Aircraft Equipment Ltd.) have been can­ Directorate of Special Projects under Dr. Roxbee celled by mutual consent. Sir George Godfrey and Partners Cox. In May, 1944 Mr. Muir again visited the Electro-Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. are retaining United States as a member of the British Gas Tur­ Mr. Norman Anderson, who until recently was on a non-exclusive basis and for aeronautical bine Mission headed by Mr. Hayne Constant, and Assistant Chief Designer of the Auxiliaries Division application only the use of the following patents: of Rotol Limited, and has been concentrating on thereafter remained in Washington with the Brit­ 412,191 451,901 452,324 pressure cabin supercharging and air conditioning ish Air Commission as Chief of the Engine matters, has now joined Sir George Godfrey & Part­ 425,207 481,762 492,751 Development Branch dealing with technical ners Ltd., of Hanworth, as Chief Designer. 456,863 527,225 539,807 liaison and exchange of information with the This company have recently augmented their tech­ 468,196 American authorities on aircraft gas turbine and nical staff and Mr. Anderson will take over leadership Electro-Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. are also re­ jet propulsion developments which were becom­ of a team which is well versed in the problems taining limited non-exclusive licence rights in ing of vital importance at that stage of the war. attending the achievement of comfortable high-altitude respect of Patents Nos. 412,756 and 565,000. flight. Mr. Muir relinquished this post in September Electro-Hydraulics (Messier) Ltd. are taking this year on his release by the Ministry of Supply steps to delete the word "Messier" from their The Hoffmann Manufacturing Co. Ltd. to return to England to join the staff of the Col­ title and the Messier Eagle, formerly used by lege of Aeronautics. The Hoffmann Manufacturing Co., Ltd., of Messier Aircraft Equipment Ltd., will be placed Chelmsford, Essex, are opening a branch office at At the invitation of Miss Ellen Wilkinson, at the disposal of Aeronautical and Mechanical 4 Salisbury Square, Salisbury Road, Cardiff (tele­ Minister of Education, the Government of Aus­ phone: Cardiff 9318; telegrams: Hoffmann, Cardiff), Investments Ltd. tralia have appointed Air Commodore U. E. under the direction of one of their qualified engineers. Ewart, R.A.A.F., to be their representative on the An emergency stock of ball and roller bearings will Gloster Aircraft Company Board of Governors of the College of Aeronautics. be maintained there. Mr. Philip Stanbury, D.F.C., has been ap­ pointed Chief Test Pilot of Gloster Aircraft Com­ E. H. Jones and C.V.A. The Institute of Economic Engineering pany as from November 1, 1946. This will enable A close association has now been formed between The General Council of the Institute of Econo­ Mr. Eri c Greenwood, O.B.E., the present test pilot, E. H. Jones (Machine Tools) Ltd., of London, N.W.9, mic Engineering and the Executive Committee of to take charge of technical sales where his know­ and C.V.A. Jigs, Moulds & Tools Ltd., of Hove and the Production Control Research Group an­ ledge of high speed flight, probably unrivalled London, by which the two companies will work nounce an amalgamation between their two throughout the world, can be used to the indus­ together in future on the production and. sales of the bodies with effect from November 1, 1946. C.V.A. range of machine tools. try's maximum advantage. 434 Aircraft Engineering

Journal

Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace TechnologyEmerald Publishing

Published: Dec 1, 1946

There are no references for this article.