Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

Comment

Comment January 1992 PIGMENT AND RESIN TECHNOLOGY 3 UK industrial paints output falls 8 per cent A new report on the UK paint industry from Marketing Strategies for Industry (UK) Ltd predicts that the total volume sales of industrial coatings is projected to fall by 8% in 1991 from the 1990 volume of 212 million litres. In the decorative paints market, retail sales accounted for 121 million litres in 1990, equivalent to 43% of the total market. The trade sector accounts for the remaining 57%, equivalent to a volume of 163 million litres. The decorative retail sector experienced a 9% increase in the value of sales in 1990 to £407 million at RSP, despite a drop of 8% in volume sales, reflecting the trend towards value added products, says the report. In the industrial coatings market, automotive coatings is the largest sector in volume terms, with sales of 34 million litres in 1990. However, in terms of value, the vehicle refinish sector, wit h sales of £129 million in 1990, is by far the largest. Environmental issues are a key factor in the market for paints, especially in the industrial coatings sectors where environmental legislation and other pressures are causing many manufacturers to switch to the use of powder coatings. UK production of paint fell by 3% in 1990 to a volume of 640 million litres, with a value of £1213 million at MSP. Imports of paint increased by 3% in 1990 to a value of £126.8 million. However, overall import penetration is low at 11%, although this is substantially higher in some niche industrial markets. Exports of paint increased by 13% in 1990 to £231.5 million, improving the UK strong balance of trade surplus to £104.7 million. In the decorative retail paint market, ICI and Crown lead with volume shares of 36% and 17% respectively. Own label accounts for more than one third of total retail volume, reflecting the influence of the DIY superstore chains in this market. ICI and Crown are also leaders in the decorative trade sector, although their hold is not as commanding as in the retail sector. Details from MSI on 071-371 0955. Paint tinting systems It is estimated that there are around 11,500 integrated tinting systems in Europe at present, this number growing by several hundred units yearly, almost exclusively in Western Europe. As a result the total annual demand for colourants used in these systems is valued at DM 145 million, of which about 55% is supplied to the open market. The greatest penetration of the overall potential for all types of end use situations is found in the Nordic countries at around 95%, followed by Benelux. These are some of the conclusions of the latest multi-client survey on the European paint industry from Information Research Ltd. (Tel: 071 -434 4536). The concept of integrated tinting systems involves a combination of paint technology, colour chemistry, optical physics and computer science. Hence the subject is inherently complicated and for this reason, the technical subject matter has been kept to a minimum and generalisations made where such are permissible. However, because of the complexity of the subject, a basic outline of colour perception and science is provided, in order that the characteristics of integrated tinting systems can be more fully understood and appreciated. At present, there is a general paucity of information on tinting systems, that which does exist relating primarily to basic concepts and features of the equipment concerned. Most published articles are of a technical nature, there being few reviews of the present market situation and its likely future. This report condenses and amplifies that data which is available and supplements this with additional information from within the industry. It presents a comprehensive techno-commercial overview of the present status of usage and the likely future for integrated paint tinting systems over the next decade. The salient characteristics of the market are highlighted. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Pigment & Resin Technology Emerald Publishing

Comment

Pigment & Resin Technology , Volume 21 (1): 1 – Jan 1, 1992

Loading next page...
 
/lp/emerald-publishing/comment-3lk8UHA09s
Publisher
Emerald Publishing
Copyright
Copyright © Emerald Group Publishing Limited
ISSN
0369-9420
DOI
10.1108/eb042903
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

January 1992 PIGMENT AND RESIN TECHNOLOGY 3 UK industrial paints output falls 8 per cent A new report on the UK paint industry from Marketing Strategies for Industry (UK) Ltd predicts that the total volume sales of industrial coatings is projected to fall by 8% in 1991 from the 1990 volume of 212 million litres. In the decorative paints market, retail sales accounted for 121 million litres in 1990, equivalent to 43% of the total market. The trade sector accounts for the remaining 57%, equivalent to a volume of 163 million litres. The decorative retail sector experienced a 9% increase in the value of sales in 1990 to £407 million at RSP, despite a drop of 8% in volume sales, reflecting the trend towards value added products, says the report. In the industrial coatings market, automotive coatings is the largest sector in volume terms, with sales of 34 million litres in 1990. However, in terms of value, the vehicle refinish sector, wit h sales of £129 million in 1990, is by far the largest. Environmental issues are a key factor in the market for paints, especially in the industrial coatings sectors where environmental legislation and other pressures are causing many manufacturers to switch to the use of powder coatings. UK production of paint fell by 3% in 1990 to a volume of 640 million litres, with a value of £1213 million at MSP. Imports of paint increased by 3% in 1990 to a value of £126.8 million. However, overall import penetration is low at 11%, although this is substantially higher in some niche industrial markets. Exports of paint increased by 13% in 1990 to £231.5 million, improving the UK strong balance of trade surplus to £104.7 million. In the decorative retail paint market, ICI and Crown lead with volume shares of 36% and 17% respectively. Own label accounts for more than one third of total retail volume, reflecting the influence of the DIY superstore chains in this market. ICI and Crown are also leaders in the decorative trade sector, although their hold is not as commanding as in the retail sector. Details from MSI on 071-371 0955. Paint tinting systems It is estimated that there are around 11,500 integrated tinting systems in Europe at present, this number growing by several hundred units yearly, almost exclusively in Western Europe. As a result the total annual demand for colourants used in these systems is valued at DM 145 million, of which about 55% is supplied to the open market. The greatest penetration of the overall potential for all types of end use situations is found in the Nordic countries at around 95%, followed by Benelux. These are some of the conclusions of the latest multi-client survey on the European paint industry from Information Research Ltd. (Tel: 071 -434 4536). The concept of integrated tinting systems involves a combination of paint technology, colour chemistry, optical physics and computer science. Hence the subject is inherently complicated and for this reason, the technical subject matter has been kept to a minimum and generalisations made where such are permissible. However, because of the complexity of the subject, a basic outline of colour perception and science is provided, in order that the characteristics of integrated tinting systems can be more fully understood and appreciated. At present, there is a general paucity of information on tinting systems, that which does exist relating primarily to basic concepts and features of the equipment concerned. Most published articles are of a technical nature, there being few reviews of the present market situation and its likely future. This report condenses and amplifies that data which is available and supplements this with additional information from within the industry. It presents a comprehensive techno-commercial overview of the present status of usage and the likely future for integrated paint tinting systems over the next decade. The salient characteristics of the market are highlighted.

Journal

Pigment & Resin TechnologyEmerald Publishing

Published: Jan 1, 1992

There are no references for this article.