Land consolidation success in paddy fields of northern Iran: An assessment based on farmers’ satisfaction

Land consolidation success in paddy fields of northern Iran: An assessment based on farmers’... Land consolidation (LC) promotes the economic development of rural areas, creating a sustainable future in agricultural production, but its success relies largely upon farmers’ satisfaction and adoption. However, factors affecting the success of LC are not well understood. This study analyzed farmers’ satisfaction by a LC project in paddy fields of Masal County in Guilan Province of northern Iran. Data were collected through a structured questionnaire from 385 farmers. Most farmers were small-scale farmers with up to 3 lots, but a significant proportion (26.5%) had more than 5 lots. Older farmers, farmers with increased family workforce, income, and number of parcels had higher level of satisfaction and were more positive towards LC. Factor analysis summarized farmers’ satisfaction by LC in four factors, namely, i) economic efficiency (related to production cost and revenue) (16.93% of the variance), ii) working conditions (related to physical conditions and working schedules) (16.73% of the variance), iii) technical efficiency (related to better use of resources and inputs) (12.34% of the variance), and iv) land productivity (related to intensification of land use) (9.04% of the variance), which all together explained 54.9% of the total variance of effective factors in farmers’ satisfaction. Based on these four factors, most farmers (64.8%) were highly satisfied by LC and were named enthusiastic, while the remaining farmers (35.2%) expressed moderate satisfaction and were more cautious (named conservatives) than the first group. Findings provide insights into farmers’ behavior when participating in LC projects and are expected to provide a basis for easy implementation of future LC projects. The government should create awareness of the economic benefits of LC to farmers and provide damage compensation especially for small-scale farmers in cases where the consolidated lands are not given in due time and therefore farmers miss one or two planting seasons. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Land Use Policy Elsevier

Land consolidation success in paddy fields of northern Iran: An assessment based on farmers’ satisfaction

Loading next page...
 
/lp/elsevier/land-consolidation-success-in-paddy-fields-of-northern-iran-an-tqDnoTpcpo
Publisher
Elsevier
Copyright
Copyright © 2018 Elsevier Ltd
ISSN
0264-8377
D.O.I.
10.1016/j.landusepol.2018.01.035
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Land consolidation (LC) promotes the economic development of rural areas, creating a sustainable future in agricultural production, but its success relies largely upon farmers’ satisfaction and adoption. However, factors affecting the success of LC are not well understood. This study analyzed farmers’ satisfaction by a LC project in paddy fields of Masal County in Guilan Province of northern Iran. Data were collected through a structured questionnaire from 385 farmers. Most farmers were small-scale farmers with up to 3 lots, but a significant proportion (26.5%) had more than 5 lots. Older farmers, farmers with increased family workforce, income, and number of parcels had higher level of satisfaction and were more positive towards LC. Factor analysis summarized farmers’ satisfaction by LC in four factors, namely, i) economic efficiency (related to production cost and revenue) (16.93% of the variance), ii) working conditions (related to physical conditions and working schedules) (16.73% of the variance), iii) technical efficiency (related to better use of resources and inputs) (12.34% of the variance), and iv) land productivity (related to intensification of land use) (9.04% of the variance), which all together explained 54.9% of the total variance of effective factors in farmers’ satisfaction. Based on these four factors, most farmers (64.8%) were highly satisfied by LC and were named enthusiastic, while the remaining farmers (35.2%) expressed moderate satisfaction and were more cautious (named conservatives) than the first group. Findings provide insights into farmers’ behavior when participating in LC projects and are expected to provide a basis for easy implementation of future LC projects. The government should create awareness of the economic benefits of LC to farmers and provide damage compensation especially for small-scale farmers in cases where the consolidated lands are not given in due time and therefore farmers miss one or two planting seasons.

Journal

Land Use PolicyElsevier

Published: Apr 1, 2018

References

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 12 million articles from more than
10,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Unlimited reading

Read as many articles as you need. Full articles with original layout, charts and figures. Read online, from anywhere.

Stay up to date

Keep up with your field with Personalized Recommendations and Follow Journals to get automatic updates.

Organize your research

It’s easy to organize your research with our built-in tools.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve Freelancer

DeepDyve Pro

Price
FREE
$49/month

$360/year
Save searches from Google Scholar, PubMed
Create lists to organize your research
Export lists, citations
Read DeepDyve articles
Abstract access only
Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles
Print
20 pages/month
PDF Discount
20% off