Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

Timeline – 50 Years of the AHSS

Timeline – 50 Years of the AHSS Adam Swan Timeline – 50 Years of the ahss1 1956 (20 March) Meeting of interested individuals in Eleanor Robertson’s drawing room, 10 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, at which the decision to found a society ‘The Georgian Group of Edinburgh’ was taken by 25 people concerned at the threats to George Square by the University of Edinburgh’s redevelopment proposals (Figure 11.1). Councillor Patrick Murray was appointed first chairman and Eleanor Robertson first secretary and treasurer. 1957 12th Earl of Haddington appointed first president. 1958 William Dickson appointed chairman. First programme of lectures and visits established. Refusal of Secretary of State to hold a public inquiry into Edinburgh University’s planning schemes. 1959 First planning consultation outwith Edinburgh. Change of name to Scottish Georgian Society, reflecting the need for a national society. 1960 Casework: Randolph Crescent public inquiry, resulting in scheme being abandoned. sgs visit to Ireland, with help from the Irish Georgian Society. George Burnett of Murray Beith Murray appointed as treasurer. 1961 Edinburgh New Town designated an area of great architectural and landscape value, following representations from sgs. 1962 Casework: Kelso road scheme public inquiry and George Hotel, Edinburgh public inquiry. sgs visit to York. 139 ) 11.1 South side http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Architectural Heritage Edinburgh University Press

Timeline – 50 Years of the AHSS

Architectural Heritage , Volume 17 (1): 139 – Nov 1, 2006

Loading next page...
 
/lp/edinburgh-university-press/timeline-50-years-of-the-ahss-LHUk0KB6OY
Publisher
Edinburgh University Press
Copyright
© Edinburgh University Press
ISSN
1350-7524
eISSN
1755-1641
DOI
10.3366/arch.2006.17.1.139
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

Adam Swan Timeline – 50 Years of the ahss1 1956 (20 March) Meeting of interested individuals in Eleanor Robertson’s drawing room, 10 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, at which the decision to found a society ‘The Georgian Group of Edinburgh’ was taken by 25 people concerned at the threats to George Square by the University of Edinburgh’s redevelopment proposals (Figure 11.1). Councillor Patrick Murray was appointed first chairman and Eleanor Robertson first secretary and treasurer. 1957 12th Earl of Haddington appointed first president. 1958 William Dickson appointed chairman. First programme of lectures and visits established. Refusal of Secretary of State to hold a public inquiry into Edinburgh University’s planning schemes. 1959 First planning consultation outwith Edinburgh. Change of name to Scottish Georgian Society, reflecting the need for a national society. 1960 Casework: Randolph Crescent public inquiry, resulting in scheme being abandoned. sgs visit to Ireland, with help from the Irish Georgian Society. George Burnett of Murray Beith Murray appointed as treasurer. 1961 Edinburgh New Town designated an area of great architectural and landscape value, following representations from sgs. 1962 Casework: Kelso road scheme public inquiry and George Hotel, Edinburgh public inquiry. sgs visit to York. 139 ) 11.1 South side

Journal

Architectural HeritageEdinburgh University Press

Published: Nov 1, 2006

There are no references for this article.