Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

The Originality of the Anglo-Norman Hospitallers' Riwle

The Originality of the Anglo-Norman Hospitallers' Riwle The Originality of the Anglo-Norman Hospitallers' Riwle The first Master of the Hospital, Blessed Gerard, was from the outset a custos or guardian of a hospice for pilgrims to Jerusalem founded by merchants from Amalfi and placed under the patronage of St John Baptist. It was located on the Muristan and stood near two other Amalfitan edifices, the Convent of St Mary of the Latins and the Convent of St Mary Magdalene. In the same neighbourhood was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. During Gerard's guardianship concerns for lodging travellers gradually gave way to concerns for succour to the sick and needy in general, on w h o m Gerard and his helpers waited in the manner in which servants would attend the needs of their lords. Raymond du Puy became the second Master in c. 1120. During his magistracy of some forty years the Order extended its operations from the Middle East to Europe, through the priory established on the continent at Saint Gilles in the South of France. The details of this expansion and the rising importance of the Order need not detain us, but Raymond's initiatives and leadership played a major part in it all. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Parergon Australian & New Zealand Association of Medieval & Early Modern Studies, Inc. (ANAZAMEMS, Inc.)

The Originality of the Anglo-Norman Hospitallers' Riwle

Parergon , Volume 3 (1) – Apr 3, 1985

Loading next page...
 
/lp/australian-new-zealand-association-of-medieval-early-modern-studies-inc-anazamems-inc/the-originality-of-the-anglo-norman-hospitallers-riwle-jArhultgxB
Publisher
Australian & New Zealand Association of Medieval & Early Modern Studies, Inc. (ANAZAMEMS, Inc.)
Copyright
Copyright © The author
ISSN
1832-8334
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

The Originality of the Anglo-Norman Hospitallers' Riwle The first Master of the Hospital, Blessed Gerard, was from the outset a custos or guardian of a hospice for pilgrims to Jerusalem founded by merchants from Amalfi and placed under the patronage of St John Baptist. It was located on the Muristan and stood near two other Amalfitan edifices, the Convent of St Mary of the Latins and the Convent of St Mary Magdalene. In the same neighbourhood was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. During Gerard's guardianship concerns for lodging travellers gradually gave way to concerns for succour to the sick and needy in general, on w h o m Gerard and his helpers waited in the manner in which servants would attend the needs of their lords. Raymond du Puy became the second Master in c. 1120. During his magistracy of some forty years the Order extended its operations from the Middle East to Europe, through the priory established on the continent at Saint Gilles in the South of France. The details of this expansion and the rising importance of the Order need not detain us, but Raymond's initiatives and leadership played a major part in it all.

Journal

ParergonAustralian & New Zealand Association of Medieval & Early Modern Studies, Inc. (ANAZAMEMS, Inc.)

Published: Apr 3, 1985

There are no references for this article.