AbstractThe Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission (TRMM) Multisatellite Precipitation Analysis (TMPA) has provided a valuable precipitation dataset for hydrometeorological studies (1998–2015). However, TMPA shows some differences when compared to the ground-based estimates. In this study, a correction model is developed to improve the accuracy of the TRMM precipitation monthly product by reducing the bias compared to the ground-based estimates. The TRMM 3B43 precipitation product is compared with the Parameter-Elevation Regressions on Independent Slopes Model (PRISM) and with gridded precipitation estimates acquired from the CPC Unified Precipitation Project, two ground-based precipitation estimates, in the conterminous United States. The bias between the satellite and ground-based estimates is compared with mean surface temperature and elevation, respectively. A weak linear relationship is observed between the bias and temperature but a moderate inverse linear relationship is observed between the bias and elevation. Based on these observations, a linear model is developed for the TRMM 3B43–PRISM bias and elevation. The developed model is calibrated and validated using Monte Carlo cross validation with 25% of the available data as a calibration set and the remaining 75% of the data as a validation set. The estimated model parameters are then used in a correction formula for the TRMM 3B43 dataset for elevations above 1500 m above mean sea level. The corrected TRMM 3B43 product is verified for the high-elevation regions over the entire United States as well as in two high-elevation local regions in the western United States. The results show a significant improvement in the accuracy of the monthly satellite product in the high elevations of the United States.
Journal of Hydrometeorology – American Meteorological Society
Published: Sep 13, 2017
It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.
Enjoy affordable access to
over 18 million articles from more than
15,000 peer-reviewed journals.
All for just $49/month
Query the DeepDyve database, plus search all of PubMed and Google Scholar seamlessly
Save any article or search result from DeepDyve, PubMed, and Google Scholar... all in one place.
Get unlimited, online access to over 18 million full-text articles from more than 15,000 scientific journals.
Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Elsevier, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.
All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.
“Hi guys, I cannot tell you how much I love this resource. Incredible. I really believe you've hit the nail on the head with this site in regards to solving the research-purchase issue.”Daniel C.
“Whoa! It’s like Spotify but for academic articles.”@Phil_Robichaud
“I must say, @deepdyve is a fabulous solution to the independent researcher's problem of #access to #information.”@deepthiw
“My last article couldn't be possible without the platform @deepdyve that makes journal papers cheaper.”@JoseServera