Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You and Your Team.

Learn More →

Stem Cells: Regulatory Challenges and Initiatives

Stem Cells: Regulatory Challenges and Initiatives A simple definition of a stem cell is a cell that can regenerate itself and also produce a more differentiated cell. This definition suggests the potential for limitless bounty of source material (unlike, say, fetal cell transplants) as well as the potential to create specific neurological cell types that might be better matched to specific patient deficits. As with any new approach to treatment of diseases, however, the transformation of potential into reality is developed through a careful process of controlled clinical trials, with the best refined clinical end points, rigorous development of the product based on the most stringent scientific data, and patience. For example, the very limitless regenerative potential of a stem cell raises concerns regarding possible development of a malignant cell phenotype. For implantation into the central nervous system, even a "benign" slow growth can be deadly. Creating a differentiated cell phenotype with 95% "purity" is not nearly good enough, if the remaining 5 percent are of a different phenotype. We know that stem cells, the state of differentiation notwithstanding, can migrate throughout the body. It would be scant comfort to be able to treat end-stage Parkinson disease if some of those differentiated cells migrated to the A-V node of the heart and caused uncontrolled arrhythmias. The Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER) has initiated a number of ventures to augment the science needed for clinical trials for stem cells. The CBER and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) have signed a memorandum of understanding whereby the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews serve as liaisons to help formulate funding initiatives that will lead to research in areas that concern them; NINDS scientists are attending early FDA meetings with sponsors to learn about the FDA regulatory role in product development. The National Institute on Aging and CBER are collaborating in examining human stem cells with microarrays to determine reproducible markers of differentiation that might be useful for stem cell product characterization. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png Archives of Neurology American Medical Association

Stem Cells: Regulatory Challenges and Initiatives

Archives of Neurology , Volume 60 (2) – Feb 1, 2003

Stem Cells: Regulatory Challenges and Initiatives

Abstract

A simple definition of a stem cell is a cell that can regenerate itself and also produce a more differentiated cell. This definition suggests the potential for limitless bounty of source material (unlike, say, fetal cell transplants) as well as the potential to create specific neurological cell types that might be better matched to specific patient deficits. As with any new approach to treatment of diseases, however, the transformation of potential into reality is developed through a careful...
Loading next page...
 
/lp/american-medical-association/stem-cells-regulatory-challenges-and-initiatives-hct0nI5iHo
Publisher
American Medical Association
Copyright
Copyright © 2003 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.
ISSN
0003-9942
eISSN
1538-3687
DOI
10.1001/archneur.60.2.296-a
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

A simple definition of a stem cell is a cell that can regenerate itself and also produce a more differentiated cell. This definition suggests the potential for limitless bounty of source material (unlike, say, fetal cell transplants) as well as the potential to create specific neurological cell types that might be better matched to specific patient deficits. As with any new approach to treatment of diseases, however, the transformation of potential into reality is developed through a careful process of controlled clinical trials, with the best refined clinical end points, rigorous development of the product based on the most stringent scientific data, and patience. For example, the very limitless regenerative potential of a stem cell raises concerns regarding possible development of a malignant cell phenotype. For implantation into the central nervous system, even a "benign" slow growth can be deadly. Creating a differentiated cell phenotype with 95% "purity" is not nearly good enough, if the remaining 5 percent are of a different phenotype. We know that stem cells, the state of differentiation notwithstanding, can migrate throughout the body. It would be scant comfort to be able to treat end-stage Parkinson disease if some of those differentiated cells migrated to the A-V node of the heart and caused uncontrolled arrhythmias. The Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER) has initiated a number of ventures to augment the science needed for clinical trials for stem cells. The CBER and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) have signed a memorandum of understanding whereby the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews serve as liaisons to help formulate funding initiatives that will lead to research in areas that concern them; NINDS scientists are attending early FDA meetings with sponsors to learn about the FDA regulatory role in product development. The National Institute on Aging and CBER are collaborating in examining human stem cells with microarrays to determine reproducible markers of differentiation that might be useful for stem cell product characterization.

Journal

Archives of NeurologyAmerican Medical Association

Published: Feb 1, 2003

Keywords: stem cells

There are no references for this article.

You’re reading a free preview. Subscribe to read the entire article.


DeepDyve is your
personal research library

It’s your single place to instantly
discover and read the research
that matters to you.

Enjoy affordable access to
over 18 million articles from more than
15,000 peer-reviewed journals.

All for just $49/month

Explore the DeepDyve Library

Search

Query the DeepDyve database, plus search all of PubMed and Google Scholar seamlessly

Organize

Save any article or search result from DeepDyve, PubMed, and Google Scholar... all in one place.

Access

Get unlimited, online access to over 18 million full-text articles from more than 15,000 scientific journals.

Your journals are on DeepDyve

Read from thousands of the leading scholarly journals from SpringerNature, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford University Press and more.

All the latest content is available, no embargo periods.

See the journals in your area

DeepDyve

Freelancer

DeepDyve

Pro

Price

FREE

$49/month
$499/year

Save searches from
Google Scholar,
PubMed

Create folders to
organize your research

Export folders, citations

Read DeepDyve articles

Abstract access only

Unlimited access to over
18 million full-text articles

Print

20 pages / month