Get 20M+ Full-Text Papers For Less Than $1.50/day. Start a 14-Day Trial for You or Your Team.

Learn More →

OPEN SAFETY-PIN SWALLOWED BY A TEN MONTHS OLD INFANT

OPEN SAFETY-PIN SWALLOWED BY A TEN MONTHS OLD INFANT L. B., a boy, aged 10½ months, swallowed a small brass safety-pin at about 8 a. m. on Dec. 21, 1929. The mother telephoned to one of us (I. H. T.), saying that the baby had swallowed either a small safety-pin or a part of a tinker toy. The mother was instructed to take the child to the office that afternoon in order that a fluoroscopic examination could be made. The examination showed an open safety-pin in the fundus of the stomach. The infant was sent to Michael Reese Hospital in order to have a roentgenogram taken. The child entered the hospital at 6: 50 p. m., and a roentgenogram was taken at once and promptly developed (fig. 1). This showed that the pin had already passed through the stomach, had traversed a portion of the jejunum and lay in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. Dr. D. C. http://www.deepdyve.com/assets/images/DeepDyve-Logo-lg.png American journal of diseases of children American Medical Association

OPEN SAFETY-PIN SWALLOWED BY A TEN MONTHS OLD INFANT

Loading next page...
 
/lp/american-medical-association/open-safety-pin-swallowed-by-a-ten-months-old-infant-9cp0oS0Y0C
Publisher
American Medical Association
Copyright
Copyright © 1930 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved. Applicable FARS/DFARS Restrictions Apply to Government Use.
ISSN
0096-8994
eISSN
1538-3628
DOI
10.1001/archpedi.1930.01940010107010
Publisher site
See Article on Publisher Site

Abstract

L. B., a boy, aged 10½ months, swallowed a small brass safety-pin at about 8 a. m. on Dec. 21, 1929. The mother telephoned to one of us (I. H. T.), saying that the baby had swallowed either a small safety-pin or a part of a tinker toy. The mother was instructed to take the child to the office that afternoon in order that a fluoroscopic examination could be made. The examination showed an open safety-pin in the fundus of the stomach. The infant was sent to Michael Reese Hospital in order to have a roentgenogram taken. The child entered the hospital at 6: 50 p. m., and a roentgenogram was taken at once and promptly developed (fig. 1). This showed that the pin had already passed through the stomach, had traversed a portion of the jejunum and lay in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. Dr. D. C.

Journal

American journal of diseases of childrenAmerican Medical Association

Published: Jul 1, 1930

There are no references for this article.