Within the last year
Within the past 3 years
1 - 10 of 13 articles
1. By measurements of the diameter and velocity of leucocytes and of the particles in two carbon suspensions, the relative rates of ingestion of the two suspensions by the leucocytes are predicted and the predictions verified experimentally. 2. The results indicate that 4.7µ particles of carbon...
1. The addition of Na taurocholate produces an increase in the rate of respiration at a concentration of 0.0000125 M , and a decrease at 0.001 M and in higher concentrations. 2. NaCl is antagonized by Na taurocholate, the most favorable proportion being 14,375 parts of NaCl to 1 part of Na...
1. In highly hypertonic solutions of sea water the rate of respiration of Laminaria agardhii is rapidly reduced. 2. In highly hypotonic solutions the rate of respiration of Laminaria agardhii is reduced somewhat less rapidly than in the case of hypertonic solutions. 3. Hypertonic solutions of...
1. The pinnæ of sensitive brier or Schrankia are favorable for demonstrating summation of dissimilar stimuli. 2. The demonstration was made as follows: A time of day was chosen when the closure of a single proximal leaflet did not provoke closure of the next distal leaflet. An irritating gas was...
1. The equations which serve to predict the injury of tissue in 0.52 M NaCl and in 0.278 M CaCl 2 and its subsequent recovery (when it is replaced in sea water) also enable us to predict the behavior of tissue in mixtures of these solutions, as well as its recovery in sea water after exposure to...
Spontaneous aggregations of flagellates are formed under the cover-glass because the organisms are attracted to and remain in regions where the concentration of dissolved oxygen is less than the saturation concentration under atmospheric partial pressure. These regions of lessened oxygen content...
The experiments on casein solutions therefore confirm the conclusion at which we arrived from the behavior of gelatin and crystalline egg albumin that the forces determining the combination between proteins and acids or alkalies are the same forces of primary valency which also determine the...
1. In a salt-free medium the proportion of the total amount of hemolytic sensitizer present, combined with the homologous cells, reaches a maximum of almost 100 per cent at pH 5.3. On the alkaline side of this point the proportion combined diminishes with the alkalinity and reaches a minimum of...
Read and print from thousands of top scholarly journals.
Sign up with Facebook
Sign up with Google
Already have an account? Log in
Save this article to read later. You can see your Read Later on your DeepDyve homepage.
To save an article, log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.
Sign Up Log In
To subscribe to email alerts, please log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.
To get new article updates from a journal on your personalized homepage, please log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.