Within the last year
Within the past 3 years
1 - 10 of 18 articles
▪ Abstract At luminosities above 10 11 , infrared galaxies become the dominant population of extragalactic objects in the local Universe ( z ≲ 0.3), being more numerous than optically selected starburst and Seyfert galaxies and quasi-stellar objects at comparable bolometric luminosity. The...
▪ Abstract The Goddard High-Resolution Spectrograph (GHRS) aboard the Hubble Space Telescope ( HST ) has yielded precision abundance results for a range of interstellar environments, including gas in the local medium, in the warm neutral medium, in cold diffuse clouds, and in distant halo...
▪ Abstract A careful assessment of current uncertainties in stellar physics (opacities, nuclear reaction rates, equation of state effects, diffusion, rotation, and mass loss), in the chemistry of globular cluster (GC) stars, and in the cluster distance scale, suggests that the most metal-poor...
▪ Abstract The Magellanic Clouds have galactocentric distances of 50 and 63 kiloparsecs, making it possible to probe the older populations of clusters and stars in some detail. Although it is clear that both galaxies contain an old population, it is not yet certain whether this population is...
▪ Abstract We discuss current observational and theoretical knowledge of magnetic fields, especially the large-scale structure in the disks and halos of spiral galaxies. Among other topics, we consider the enhancement of global magnetic fields in the interarm regions, magnetic spiral arms, and...
▪ Abstract In the past decade a number of observational and theoretical studies have appeared that address the problem of how both the physical conditions in subsurface layers of the Sun and the nature of the magnetic flux tubes of active regions are reflected in the structure and behavior of...
▪ Abstract The status of searches for gravitational microlensing events of the stars in our galaxy and in other galaxies of the Local Group, the interpretation of the results, some theory, and prospects for the future are reviewed. The searches have already unveiled ∼ 100 events, at least two...
Read and print from thousands of top scholarly journals.
Sign up with Facebook
Sign up with Google
Already have an account? Log in
Save this article to read later. You can see your Read Later on your DeepDyve homepage.
To save an article, log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.
Sign Up Log In
To subscribe to email alerts, please log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.
To get new article updates from a journal on your personalized homepage, please log in first, or sign up for a DeepDyve account if you don’t already have one.